Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fall has finally arrived...

Well, it's high time I updated the blog with some kind of new entry...don't you think? :-)  Life just somehow seems to get in the way of my being able to sit at the computer long enough to chronicle some of our events.

The weather has been so beautiful here lately, we're spending a lot of time outdoors....playing GOLF!  Sunday Neil and I entered a couples scramble tournament and we were paired up with Doug and Jill, a really fun couple from Loveland, Colorado who have a winter home in our community.   Not only did we enjoy each other's company and playing together, but we ended up "in the money!"   Yep, when it all said and done and the scores were tallied up, we came in 3rd place---1/10th of a point behind 2nd place in a field of 55 players.


Recently I noticed some hummingbirds in the area.  I quickly filled a large feeder and hung it from the column in the gazebo where I could get a good view of the birds that might come to visit.   Within minutes, the first bird arrived to feed and has now made herself at home resting on the branches of my Lady Banks rose bushes and in the desert museum palo verde trees next to the feeder.  She has been so much fun to watch and has allowed me to get within inches of her so that I could take photos of her while she is perched on a branch.   The male hummers, on the other hand, will not sit still long enough for me to get a good photo. 

I believe the hummer in the following pic is a female Costa's hummingbird.  She has a greenish cast on her head and back with several purple spots below her chin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment